Elder Mitchell Head

Elder Mitchell Head

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Elder Head in the Philippines week 6 - 1st baptism :)

Hey Everyone! 

So this week we had the baptism of Sister Joana and I had the opportunity to confirm her as a member of the church. It was such an awesome experience. I was so nervous but it turned out okay! I meant to do it in Cebuano, but I accidentally did it all in English cause I was more nervous than I thought, but luckily she knows english and I used simple english for everyone in the congregation. So that was the highlight of the week. The rest of the week was a little tough. Some of the people we've been teaching lately have lost interest and others were more interested in who was teaching rather than what was being taught. Nagingon sila ngadto ilang mga amigo nga mga uyab mi nila. (They were telling their friends that we were their boyfriends, which is dili pwede) So that wasn't good. So we're going to go talk to them and see if they're actually interested or not. I struggled with the language a lot this week. Some days I'm super VisDak and other days I'm basically useless in the language, which is hard but I know that with practice and with help from our Heavenly Father, it'll come. I ate Durian pie this week, yeah. It wasn't good. The people were all like "Oh you'll love it! It's the fruit of the gods! You're so lucky!" Yeah it wasn't good. I ate the whole thing though cause I didn't want to offend but it tasted like foot. So funny story, this week we were tracting out in Cabancalan and we found this family who is super awesome and they're very accepting of us. But they're super devout Catholic. The mom gets up every morning at 2 AM to walk around with their Virgin Mary statue and takes it to the other members of their congregation's houses so they can kiss it and receive blessings... Basta, we were talking with them and they took us to their prayer meeting. It was super weird but we couldn't stay cause we had a dinner appointment but we were just sitting in a room with them with a shrine up to the virgin mary up at the front and we were just talking with them about churches and religion. Then we left before things got too weird for us. It sounds like the start of a joke though. What do you call a room with 10 Catholics and 2 Mormons... I'll let ya'll figure out the ending to that one. Haha. The church is true! Have a good week!

Elder Head






No comments:

Post a Comment